Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Sitting on my tuffett

So I did a lot of couch sitting yesterday.  Even though it isn't required by the procedure, Handsome and I thought we would be best off with me relaxing and laying on the couch after the procedure.  Yesterday, Tuesday, at 9am was my scheduled IUI, Intra-uterine insemination.  The actual technique used was FSP, fallopian tube sperm perfusion, it takes a little longer than a typical insemination but ARMS feels they have a better success rate using the FSP.  Handsome had gone in earlier for specimen deposit.  He texted me with the identification number on his sample so we can make sure we make Handsome babies and not random-guy babies.  At my appointment I was seen into a room with a bed/table with standard stirrups.  I don't know if I have explained this before but the stirrups in the room where I get the ultrasound are different, instead of you heels going into them your knees go over them.  The set of stirrups in this room were you typical heel stirrups.  I had Nurse Practitioner Orr who I like because she always lets me know everything that is going on, some people might think it is over explaining but I like it.  I verified the paperwork and sample was from Handsome, it was, and then I was told to undress from the waist down (after visiting the bathroom to empty my bladder) and use a paper gown (that big piece of tissue paper) for modesty. 

When NP Orr came in she asked how I was feeling and then let me lie back on the table.  She turned down the lights so they wouldn't be glaring in my eyes and then went to work.  She gave me a play by play as she worked which I found helpful as I knew then what to anticipate. NP Orr said that Handsome was a stud (I made sure to remember that so I could tease him later!) because they want a sperm count of at least 5 million sperm and he had over a 100 million for his count.  First she used a speculum so she could access everything.  She said it was a small speculum - I don' know it felt about average to me but wasn't unduly uncomfortable.  She then said she was wiping away some cervical fluid but I couldn't really feel that.  Next she rinsed out and showed mt the tube that she would be using.  It was a thin tube with a little balloon that she could inflate or deflate - I don't know the mechanism but she showed me it inflating and deflating.  Inflated it was a little bigger than a pencil eraser.  The tube was then inserted through my cervix - it was similar in pressure and discomfort as a standard pap smear.  NP Orr said she would now inflate the balloon and I might feel a cramp, after inflating the balloon she didn't like the seal it made so she deflated it repositioned slightly and re-inflated it.  All of this did give me mild cramps but they were mild, I concentrated on relaxing and that seemed to help.  The balloon is inflated so that the insemination fluid can only move forward into the uterus and not back out to the vagina.  She then started to inject the fluid, she went slow because as she explained it to me it was more fluid than the uterus holds so some of the fluid moves into the fallopian tubes where fertilization usually takes place.  Afterwards she placed a pillow under my hips and told me to lay there for 20 minutes, I read my book until the timer went off and then I was free to go. 

I was told that I might experience cramping, some spotting, some discharge of the fluid but lucky me I didn't experience any of those things.  I went home and laid on the couch for almost 2 hours and then got up to eat.  I laid back on the couch and took an afternoon nap before waking up to watch some TV.  I have been watching the 2000/2001 series of The Invisible Man.  I might also have had some chocolate ice cream.  Handsome made fun of me being a "kept woman" since I am not working this week and sat on the couch all day yesterday but he called me a few times to check on me.  Today I feel fine and am planning on going to work out tonight at weight class.  I start progesterone on Friday to help prolong the luteal phase of my cycle and then on the 20th I will do a pregnancy test.  I will report the findings here but if when it is positive please don't congratulate me until we have gotten further along (around 12 weeks).  Well that is all for now... ttyl

Little Miss Muffet
"Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away"

No comments:

Post a Comment