Saturday, June 9, 2012

Wolf Along the Path

I know, I know pregnancy is full of twists and turns and hazards you must be aware of (no deli meats, no unpasteurized cheeses, no aspirin) but after getting the great news that I was pregnant and that my hCG levels were rising the way they should I thought I would have some time to catch my breath before the next obstacle.  It's not a big thing... I have to keep telling myself that.  It's not a big thing but when you have had one miscarriage before any bump can make you worries and can make mountains out of molehills.  Yesterday I found a message on my phone from Shelley at ARMS, I immediately started to get anxious (I tried not to), I was worried that there was something wrong and that's why they were calling.

Turns out that on Thursday when they drew blood to test my thyroid that my TSH, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, was elevated which means my thyroid is low.  My TSH was at a 4.23 and they want it at a 2.5 so they are upping my dosage of Levothyroxine from 0.05mg to 0.075mg.  I picked it up last night and took my first dose this morning.  The reason why this is somewhat concerning is that untreated hypothyroidism can lead to developmental issues and miscarriage of the fetus.  Luckily the key word there is untreated which mine is not so we just have to watch it and they will do another blood test in 4 weeks to see if they need to adjust again.  I just have to wonder now if I should ask for a blood test in a week to make sure that the dosage increase is working.  Handsome is worried as well when I told him and made sure we picked up the prescription right away.

Hoo.  Deep Breath.  I just have to keep thinking positive and move forward.  Last night my husband took me out for dinner to celebrate and today we are meeting up with friends to watch some soccer. 

Little Red-Cap (or Little Red Riding Hood)
"and just as Little Red-Cap entered the wood, a wolf met her. Red-Cap did not know what a wicked creature he was,"
Grimm, Jacob; Grimm, Wilhelm; Charles River Editors; Taylor, Edgar (2011-11-29). The Complete Brothers Grimm's Fairy Tales (Illustrated) (Kindle Locations 2046-2047). Unknown. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment