Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Getting Stuff Done

Have you ever been in a rut?  Lately I have, I rut of laziness.  On a typical work day I come home around 5:30, get online for bit, go to the gym with my husband if it is Monday, Wednesday or Thursday and then watch TV while dinner cooks.  I have decided that I am going to try and get one thing done each day so break out of the rut and in turn get stuff done.  I didn't do much Monday but yesterday I changed out two of the entry door knobs and deadbolts.  Sunday I had finally gotten around to changing out our front door knob and deadbolt.  I don't have a "before" picture but imagine crappy polished brass.  Now we have this:

 Here is a picture of our front entry way - I can't take credit for the beautiful planting, I have a black thumb, but Handsome is GREAT with plants!
It didn't take long for it to start to bother my OCD-self that the other entry doors were still that horrible shiny brass color so I decided to go out and get new level handles and deadbolts.  Kwikset (the manufacturer of our front door handle set) makes matching lever handles with deadbolts which means all of our keys would match sue to their re-keying tech.  We couldn't re-key the front door to our existing key because our existing key set wasn't for entry doors it was for interior french doors.  Quality construction :P  So Tuesday I went and got two set for our garage door and our back door. 

Just a note to all my friends out there always be aware of their price matching policies.  Lowes promises to beat any other company's advertised price by 10%.  I looked up the handle sets online on lowes.com and homedepot.com, Home Depot was 5 cents cheaper - that's right, a nickel.  I pointed this out to Lowes with my smart phone and got 10% off each handle.  That's right folks, because of a price difference of a NICKEL, I saved $7.00 on each set.  AWESOME!!!  Yesterday, while Handsome grilled delicious bison burgers on the grill I installed the handles on the back door and then the laundry room door.
Bremen is acting as my Vanna White here :)


Ahhh these look so much better but there is one little detail that is tugging at my OCDness although these should all be the same, the deadbolt on the back door is slightly different than those on the front door and garage/laundry room door.  I have shown the two images below - can you spot the differences?
Back door
 Front door and garage/laundry room door

Yes I know that one is in the upright position and one is not - that is not the difference, look closer ;)
So it kinda bothers me but on the other hand I REALLY don't want to pull off the one dead bolt to take it back to Lowes to get one that matches the front door.  After I got all this done yesterday I felt really good, even though it was small I got something besides sitting on my butt accomplished; which is where my new vow comes in.  This is a short term vow I am going to try and do some little thing each day, blog each day and have pictures in my blog until at least Sunday.  I will also try and update the Kindle corner.  I don't know which, if any, of you look at the Kindle corner but I am WAY behind.  I have 27 books that I have read that haven't yet been added and 5 in the hopper, two of which I am actively reading.

So what did I do today as my one task, you ask?  I framed a matted photo we got on our last anniversary in Sedona and hung it.  This is big because Handsome is always saying that we buy pictures but never put them up.  Whenever I find another art piece or photo to buy he asks, sarcastically, if this will also go in the pile to never be hung.  Slowly but surely our walls will lose their bareness.


I know it still looks a little bare but I've got plans, yes.. yes... I've got plans :)

Well I think that is all for tonight because I still have to update the Kindle corner and then get to bed.  ttyl

"The Little Red Hen"
Once upon a time, there was a little red hen who lived on a farm.She was friends with a lazy dog, a sleepy cat, and a noisy duck.

One day the little red hen found some seeds on the ground.  The little red hen had an idea, she would plant the seeds.  Then the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant these seeds?"
"Not I," said the dog
"Not I," said the cat
"Not I," said the duck
"Then I will," said the little red hen.  So the little red hen planted the seeds all by herself.

When the seeds had grown, the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me cut the wheat?"
"Not I," said the dog
"Not I," said the cat
"Not I," said the duck
"Then I will," said the little red hen; and the little red hen cut the wheat all by herself.

When all the wheat was cut the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me take the wheat to the mill to grind into flour?"
"Not I," said the dog
"Not I," said the cat
"Not I," said the duck
"Then I will," said the little red hen; and the little red hen took the wheat to the mill and carried the heavy sack of flour back to the farm.

The little red hen was tired and asked her friends, "Who will help me bake the bread?"
"Not I," said the dog
"Not I," said the cat
"Not I," said the duck
"Then I will," said the little red hen; and the little red hen made dough, kneaded the dough and baked it into bread.

When the bread was finished the little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me eat this delicious bread?"
"I will" barked the dog
"I will" purred the cat
"I will" quacked the duck
"No!" cried the little red hen, "You did not want to help me with the work so I shall eat the bread all by myself," and so she did.

PS I included this because it is about doing tasks not because I was taking a stand against laziness or bad friends.  Had I been the little red hen I would have shared with my friends and I am sure they would have helped :)

No comments:

Post a Comment